THE ACCENTUATION OF BENGALI
It is good to see that traders and shopkeepers in Kolkata have been ordered to use Bengali in their signboards. Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharya in 2001 had changed the name of the city from Calcutta to Kolkata, the Bengali original name.
Actually it looks like a fight back of the Bengalis in the West Bengal on the growing influence of Hindi & English, which are strangling the use of their mother language. But Nirmalya Nag says that the government has to do much more to put the emphasis back on Bengali:
Now, when flaunting your English speaking capability has become a fashion, the Left Front government has done precious little to ensure that none could pass the standard/class X without taking Bengali as a subject. Perhaps West Bengal is the only state in India where this system exists. ..... I was stunned to know that there could be an educated Bengali in Kolkata who does not know of Sukumar Ray's works.In Bangladesh the situation is different. Bengali is the state language and the language of the government. The street signs and the vehicle number plates are in Bengali. But the educated Bangladeshis are also slowly decreasing their reading habits and ignoring literature. Blame it on the poor education system or the influence of TV, but this is a threat Bangladeshi societies need to address too to save the Bengali language.
THE ACCENTUATION OF BENGALI
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- CORRUPT MILLIONAIRE MINISTERS OF BANGLADESH Recei...
- TRANSPARENCY Another election pledge remains unfu...
- BANGLADESH BLOG BUZZ (Crossposted in the Global Vo...
- TODAY'S PHOTO Berlin has a mixture of old and mo...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh’s fraying democracy. ...
- LEARNING ENGLISH IN JAPAN Can be fun!
- BRAVO AUSTRALIA The Australian world cup march wa...
- ONE NATION'S HERO IS ANOTHER NATION'S TRAITOR Fli...
- IN THE EYES OF A BEHOLDER I have found yet anothe...
- SOCCER DEMOCRACY After all watching football is b...
- WIND TURBINES IN GERMANY - RENEWABLE ENERGY The ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Germany's soccer extravaganza. *...
- SIEMENS NOKIA MERGER? Nokia Corporation and Sieme...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "In no other capital city of th...
- BANGLADESH IS A LAND OF CONFUSION The above is st...
- AN ELEGY FOR BANGLADESH What if someone writes an...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Suicide in religion. * World Cup...
- PHOTO OF THE DAY A sculpture near the state oper...
- WHEN GERMANY WINS If you were staying in your hom...
- INTERNATIONAL WEBLOGGER'S DAY Today is the 3rd an...
- IN A WORLD CUP CITY You know you are in a city ho...
- WORLD CUP BLUES The FIFA world cup is the single ...
- PHOTOS OF THE DAY
- TOOOOOOR! The World Cup 2006 has just been start...
- THE GERMAN CHANCELLOR IS PODCASTING German Chance...
- LOVE GENERATION The French house legend Bob Sincl...
- WORLD CUP, THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS Its less than a d...
- WORLD CUP FEVER Berlin is ready for the world cu...
- ASIA BLOG AWARDS 2006-2007 AsiaPundit is hosting ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The horrors really are your Ameri...
- 06.06.06 Today's date is the magic date. Is this ...
- A STITCH IN TIME Now that Bangladesh is connected...
- INTERNATIONAL CONSPIRACY Bangladesh has been floo...
- THE ACCENTUATION OF BENGALI It is good to see tha...
- TODAY'S LINKS * What exactly is a Blog, anyway? ...
- MOSQUITO BUSTER This device is desperately needed...
- BERLIN HAUPTBAHNHOF I missed being there, watchi...
- DONATE YOUR QUESTION Dropping Knowledge, a Berlin...
- MUSIC TIME Listening to Shaheen Sheik. Check out ...
- PHOTO OF THE DAY French church in Berlin Musee I...
- ISLAM AND DEMOCRACY In recent times the burning q...
- ▼ June (41)
- ► 2005 (373)
- ► 2004 (329)