I missed being there, watching live the opening ceremonies of the Europe's largest train station, the Berlin Hauptbahnhof. The ceremonies included a live concert and a spectacular laser show which attracted some 500,000 people and the grand opening in the early hours of 27th of May (midnight of 26th) (video clip).
But I was also lucky because on that night hell broke loose as a 16 year old drunken schoolboy went on a knife stabbing frenzy among the spectators and injured 28 people. People were also shocked to learn that one of his first victims was a carrier of AIDS, prompting fears that all who suffered stab wounds and those who treated them can be affected with the tainted blood in the knife. Over 50 people will have to wait six month anxiously to know whether they are infected or not.
However I went there after a couple of days. It has five stories. The 2nd level of underground and the top level have many tracks in four directions. The three levels in between contain shops of all major international brands (from Mcdonalds to Espirit). The train informations are all on multiple digital screens in various places, which look better than many international airports. Only the loudspeakers are in a high volume and needs adjustment. The glass domes are three and a half football fields long. No wonder, it took ten years and billions of Euros to build it. Here are more pictures of the station from Flickr.
People used to know this station as Lehrter Hauptbahnhof (empty main station). Now it has been renamed to Hauptbahnhof. Berlin's Zoological Garden station has lost its importance. I was reminded by my co-rider in an S-bahn that it is a pride of the Berliners.
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- CORRUPT MILLIONAIRE MINISTERS OF BANGLADESH Recei...
- TRANSPARENCY Another election pledge remains unfu...
- BANGLADESH BLOG BUZZ (Crossposted in the Global Vo...
- TODAY'S PHOTO Berlin has a mixture of old and mo...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh’s fraying democracy. ...
- LEARNING ENGLISH IN JAPAN Can be fun!
- BRAVO AUSTRALIA The Australian world cup march wa...
- ONE NATION'S HERO IS ANOTHER NATION'S TRAITOR Fli...
- IN THE EYES OF A BEHOLDER I have found yet anothe...
- SOCCER DEMOCRACY After all watching football is b...
- WIND TURBINES IN GERMANY - RENEWABLE ENERGY The ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Germany's soccer extravaganza. *...
- SIEMENS NOKIA MERGER? Nokia Corporation and Sieme...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "In no other capital city of th...
- BANGLADESH IS A LAND OF CONFUSION The above is st...
- AN ELEGY FOR BANGLADESH What if someone writes an...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Suicide in religion. * World Cup...
- PHOTO OF THE DAY A sculpture near the state oper...
- WHEN GERMANY WINS If you were staying in your hom...
- INTERNATIONAL WEBLOGGER'S DAY Today is the 3rd an...
- IN A WORLD CUP CITY You know you are in a city ho...
- WORLD CUP BLUES The FIFA world cup is the single ...
- PHOTOS OF THE DAY
- TOOOOOOR! The World Cup 2006 has just been start...
- THE GERMAN CHANCELLOR IS PODCASTING German Chance...
- LOVE GENERATION The French house legend Bob Sincl...
- WORLD CUP, THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS Its less than a d...
- WORLD CUP FEVER Berlin is ready for the world cu...
- ASIA BLOG AWARDS 2006-2007 AsiaPundit is hosting ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The horrors really are your Ameri...
- 06.06.06 Today's date is the magic date. Is this ...
- A STITCH IN TIME Now that Bangladesh is connected...
- INTERNATIONAL CONSPIRACY Bangladesh has been floo...
- THE ACCENTUATION OF BENGALI It is good to see tha...
- TODAY'S LINKS * What exactly is a Blog, anyway? ...
- MOSQUITO BUSTER This device is desperately needed...
- BERLIN HAUPTBAHNHOF I missed being there, watchi...
- DONATE YOUR QUESTION Dropping Knowledge, a Berlin...
- MUSIC TIME Listening to Shaheen Sheik. Check out ...
- PHOTO OF THE DAY French church in Berlin Musee I...
- ISLAM AND DEMOCRACY In recent times the burning q...
- ▼ June (41)
- ► 2005 (373)
- ► 2004 (329)